Tuesday, August 5, 2008

#2: Meet the Team: Read about how God called and led them to Africa.

Meet Elva:
As I prepare to go to Nairobi, Kenya with my church family, Calvary Chapel Beach Cities and Far Reaching Ministries -- extended an extra week with World Harvest -- I don't think I can prepare myself for WHAT I will see. The Lord has been working in several areas of my heart and life, and trusting Him - even when life presents itself in ways I would never orchestrate. God, however, is the conductor of the life - the composer, creator, and ultimate sovereign one, and if we simply MOMENT BY MOMENT put our hope and trust in Him, life will unfold before our eyes in ways we could never expect. When stormy days and tumultuous waves crash against our comfy boat -- Jesus asks if we have the faith to continue to trust in Him.

The Calvary Chapel Missions Conference in Murrietta proved to be a turning point in my life: with three different people who did not or barely knew me prayed for me concerning Africa and one prayed concerning serving a particular religious group. Two weeks after that, I was contacted by World Harvest whose ministry involved both groups. 8 months after the conference, I find myself going to Africa.

The Lord didn't put in on my heart to send letters to ask for support in going: not this time. In fact, I felt very strongly that I was NOT to write letters for this particular mission's trip. The last week before the funds were due, I resigned to not going, as I had not raised all the funds. I even told a few people I wasn't going... when I learned that... the funds were in, and I WAS GOING!

So, Jesus has made it very clear that He is leading me, and off to Africa is where I am headed. My husband, Brian, who is unable to go, has been my greatest encouragement and cheerleader for what God is about to do. There is nothing, I in myself, have to offer those I am going to serve. It is only Jesus in us, that pours out His Life and Love through us, when we are empty of ourselves. Praying, spending time with Jesus, and fellowshipping with those I'll be serving with, is my only means of truly preparing. While I am catching up on the culture and devastation of these areas, it the Lord working through me by the power of His Holy Spirit that His ULTIMATE plan will be accomplished.

Please pray for our team...to that end. That Jesus would be lifted up and that we would TRULY be His hands and His feet.

What is it that God is calling you to do? Are your eyes open to make the most of every opportunity? Have you shared your faith with someone recently? Ask God to give you the opportunity AND the boldness through the Holy Spirit to speak out in faith. If you ask this, you truly will see Him answer. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (or fear), but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline (or sound mind). (2 Timothy 1:7 NIV/NKJV).

Meet Brent:
His Story Coming Soon.

Meet Robin:

Her Story Coming Soon.

Meet Melissa:
Praise the Lord for all that HE has done to get me on HIS way. He gets all of the GLORY for this trip. I am so excited to see how He will work amongst our team and stretch me beyond my reality to more of His.

He started to prick my attention toward a short term mission trip by way of multiple friends who are either in full time ministry or have had the opportunity to take a short term mssion trip. My desire started to build as I vicariously experienced the blessings they received from serving Him in a bigger way. My church, Calvary Chapel Beach Cities, announced that we were planning to send a team on a short term trip initially to the Ukraine. I was on board...wherever the Lord wanted to send us. Somehow these plans fell through which spurred the research and building of the trip to Africa.

As I began to pray, I realized that God had already provided for the BIG needs prior to me asking. In the process He revealed that this is completely in line with Scripture. Please take a look at Isaiah 65:23-24 which states "Before they call, I will answer them; and while they are still speaking, I will hear." and Genesis 24:15 "Before he had finished speaking, behold, Rebekah who was born to Bethuel the son of Milcah, the wife of Abraham's brother Nahor, came out with a jar on her shoulder." (It is better to read both in context) Practically, I am required to take ten consecutive days off of work which is exactly the period of the trip. This was a huge blessing because I would not incur resistance or put undue stress on my team at work. Second, I saw God provide for the financial means to send me on the trip very soon upfront. I received support from my family after initial concern due to the unrest in Nairobi. My mom considered an encounter with a candidate for a job at her clinic who is from Nairobi to be God's way of reassuring her directly. My dad had a similar reassuring encounter much later in the process. I am blessed that God works in such intimate, personal ways in order to meet our needs. He continues to display is character as his "El Roi" name displays in that He sees us right where we are and meets us. HE is a good God who is more than worthy to be praised.

Most importantly He confirmed His call on my life to go to Africa through Scripture. He brought me Isaiah 58:9-11 on three occasions. Please read the whole chapter for context, but the verses state, "Then you will call and the Lord will answer. You will cry and He will say, 'Here I am.' If you remove the yoke from your midst, the pointing of the finger and speaking wickedness, and if you give yourself to the hungry and satisfy the desie of the afflicted, then your light will rise in the darkness and your gloom will become like midday. And the Lord will continually guide you, and satisfy your desire in scorched places, and give strength to your bones; and you will be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water whose waters do not fail." Meeting the needs of the afflicted...going to the widows and orphans...meeting tangible, spiritual, emotional needs seems to beat very in-tune with the heartbeat of God. I feel blessed to get to see Him move in a way that is so important to Him. He confirms this thought in James 1:27 which states " Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep onself unstained by the world."

I have seen confirmation along the way which has increased my faith beyond measure. Some of these have been through friends who have confirmed the call on my life and committed to pray. THANK YOU! Your prayers and petitions are invaluable and the most important thing in God's economy. Another was a song by Caedmon's Call titled Two Weeks in Africa which resulted in a fellowship moment with the cashier and a song which basically describes our trip. I ask myself if this is coincidence? Probably not! Finally, direct answers to prayer through provision of jerseys for our sports camp and spiritual movement amongst my circle of influence. Please continue to pray for salvation.

I challenge you to take the time to get to know our God in an intimate way. HE is an amazing God of adventure, surprise, and amazement. Get quiet with Him, block out the cares, distractions of the world and let Him reveal HIS reality. It is beyond anything you could ever ask or imagine. The decision to follow Him as your personal Lord and savior is just the beginning of the exciting adventure He has planned for your life. Are you up for it?

Thank you for keeping our team in prayer as we embark on this trip. I truly do consider this to be a partnership in which God uses all parts of the body in order to effectively accomplish HIS purpose. You are just as much a part of the team as those of us going and we need you. I can't wait to come back and have amazing stories to glorify Him for His goodness and the great things He will accomplish on the trip.

Meet Mike:
His Story Coming Soon.

6 comments:

daysease said...

http://perilloparodies.blogspot.com/2008/08/two-journeys-into-africa.html

You have been linked!!! And I will continue to do so in hopes that you will find support and encouragement,and that you will receive prayer... from all of your/our many brothers and sisters in the Lord that would come to check out my blog. Wish I could go with you... :-)

Elva said...

Thank you so much! We are so grateful for your prayers!
Love,
Team - Into Africa

tinamahina said...

"by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature," 2 Peter 1:4

Aloha Africa Travelers,

I am and have been praying for you. When I was in Africa you were in my daily prayers knowing that Our Lord was preparing the way for you. The ministry He has for you is just for YOU ALONE. The team He is sending in hand picked, He chose you. It will be exciting to hear, see, experience the trip through your hearts and eyes.

In the first week I was in Uganda, we were driving on the main road through Bugembe (just outside of Jinja) our driver informed me that if we stayed on the road we were on it would take 24 hours to get to Nairobi! I said well keep driving then! When I was walking into the Entebbe airport the armed guard at the door asking everyone where they were heading to be able to enter said "flight?" I said "British airways to London" He said "Kenya Air, you should be on Kenya air!" He didn't know how much I wanted to be in Kenya Air! But in a few short weeks while you are still there I will be starting graduate school, speaking at HBA's Servant Group to 100+ students about Africa, prepping a team from One Love Ministries heading for Vanuatu, and attending our regional Pastors, Leaders, and Church Workers conf. My heart is still there in Africa and I am going with you in spirit.

Brent, the scripture you sent when I was leaving for Africa was sent by 3 others in different forms! Confirmation from the Lord. I know that you will lead with wisdom, discernment and love. I love you my brother. It's been a such a blessing having you in my life.

Uncle Mike...great talking to you and I know your heart will be blessed and changed forever more. The kids will LOVE you and will not be able to get enough of you and your smile. I love you so much. I know you have always been faithful to pray for me for the last 8 years....don't know what I would do without you and Cindy in my life. be ready for Jesus to knock your socks off....

Elva, love you my dear sister, what can I say, one day we will be there together (with Brian too)...until then keep standing on all the promises He has given to you. Seems like these were things we were praying about not too long ago and now He has brought them to pass for both of us. Then when you get back we will start praying about your Hawaii tour! If God brought Africa around so quickly...hmmm who knows!

Robin, you (and your family) have been a blessing to me ever since I met you a few years ago, you heart for children and prayer link us as sisters. Thanks for the VBS stuff. Not sure what I am going to do with One Love yet...I need to meet with them to sus out the situation. The first Sunday I was in Uganda I did children's ministry with 60 kids and a translator....it was wild but in the end each kid left with a nice Jesus craft and a big smile on their face. Most of kids were younger and they could not do things by themselves but God worked it all out. I know He will for you too.
The kids show up from nowhere...5, 20, 50, 100, and before you know it 300. On our trip the big joke was....How to find Tina? Just look for the 1000 kids and she will be right in the middle of it!

Melissa, God used Is 58:9-11 and Is 64, James 1:27 and Eph 3:20 to confirm things to me. It was great meeting you on my last trip and know that you have a servant's heart and will be used greatly by the Lord while you are there.

Father in Jesus name I lift up this team....on their "journey of five" to a place your heart dwells daily. I pray Psalm 91 a prayer of protection over them. That they may dwell in the shadow of your wings and that your angles will have charge over them to lift them up lest their feet would strike a stone. I pray for all the flights and connections, and transportation. I pray that you will guard their bodies from sickness in route and while they are ministering to your people, that will be able to enjoy the local food as I did. Lord Jesus you have chosen each person on this team for the gifts they have and even the gifts you want to show them they have. Lord I pray that each person would be open to how you want them to be used even if they don't "feel" that is a gift they possess... may you grow each one in you and with each other as a team. Where your word says "How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!" and "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." Also make this verse real to them:"Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge."
Bless the children they will be ministering to. We know that as they minister to the children it will be ministering directly to your heart Lord Jesus as well. I pray for each ones time in the word while they are there...that you will speak boldly and sweetly to each of them. Thank you Jesus for having each one of them as a part of my life and blessing to me. I pray for the people they will be meeting: the missionaries (to encourage and wash their feet), the children (to bring to saving grace and knowledge), the widows, those with HIV/AIDS, all you will bless through them in the slums. Let this be a vision trip for the continued work you will lay on each ones heart. Thank you Lord for the honor and privilege to pray for my brothers and sisters.

Love you,
T

Stan said...

Let the brotherly love continue. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some have unwittingly entertained angels. Remember the prisoners as if chained with them, and those who are mistreated, since you yourselves are in the body also. Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge. Let your conduct be without convetousness, and be content with such things as you have. For He Himself said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" - Hebrews 13:1-6

Your obedience to His call will encourage many - those who are continue in their walk with the Lord, those who are struggling with their faith, and those who do not yet know the Lord. There is one or there are many, who will be touched by the 'touch' you will give in Jesus' Name. We share in the joy you wil experience as you see God move through many people (including through family and friends here).

By His grace, mercy and love,
Stan

Clifford said...

May God bless and protect you in your travels and while you are in Africa. May the people you come in contact with through your teachings and actions come to know Jesus and may they spread the Word to their family and friends.

Unknown said...

Bless the Lord, Oh my soul, and forget not all His benefits. Ps 103:2.
Also, for Mike, Jer 29:11
The Lord is blessing us all as the result of your committment to make this trip. What encouragement you guys are. Thank you so much.